Kevin Kinsey wrote:
Chris Hastie wrote:

Yesterday I upgraded a 5.1 system to 5.4. I then cvsuped the ports tree and
rebuilt Postfix from mail/postfix.

I am having problems with spawn and pipe. Spawn complains

postfix/spawn[36315]: fatal: unknown user name: nobody

although nobody is a user on the system. Changing the the user in master.cf does
not improve things.

Pipe complains

postfix/pipe[38272]: fatal: invalid option: ?

I've asked the question on the postfix-users list, and with respect to the pipe
problem Wietse has responded:

"> postfix/pipe[38272]: fatal: invalid option: ?

You built Postfix with the GNU version of the getopt()
system routine. That version is not compatible with
the FreeBSD getopt() system routine.

To build Postfix on FreeBSD you MUST USE the FreeBSD
getopt() system routine, not the GNU version."

Is this likely to be the case if I installed from the port? If so, how do I get
around it? And any suggestions about spawn?

Thanks

It doesn't seem likely to me that this is the problem,

To me either. I ran into a problem a while back with Postfix, and that's the same answer they gave me. It turned out to be a problem with SPF. Once I deselected that, postfix compiled fine.

It might be wise to use "portupgrade -rR" or something
similar to update PostFix, or, if this isn't a production box,
uninstall and reinstall the port (though that seems too
"Microsoftie" to me....)

Good advice.

--
Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])