Hi there,

I'm currently playing around with OPIE/PAM on 6.0-RELEASE-p7 and have managed to stump myself with what I thought would be a relatively simple setup...

My goal is to have SSH allow authorized_keys and OPIE authentication but deny all other forms of authentication. Obviously I want authentication to be denied if the user has neither configured as well.

For the record OPIE is working for authenticating su, and I can use it as an option for sshd logins so I don't think my problem lies there. I simply can't turn logins with /etc/passwd off and still use OPIE.

Initially I thought it would be as simple as making sure that my sshd_config file was configured to use PAM and then commenting out the pam_unix line in /etc/pam.d/sshd:

# auth
auth            required        pam_nologin.so          no_warn
auth sufficient pam_opie.so no_warn no_fake_prompts
auth            requisite       pam_opieaccess.so       no_warn allow_local
#auth sufficient pam_krb5.so no_warn try_first_pass #auth sufficient pam_ssh.so no_warn try_first_pass #auth required pam_unix.so no_warn try_first_pass

However after playing around for a bit I realized that this opened up the system to logins without any authentication if the user didn't have OPIE configured at all (and the docs warn about ending a chain without a "required" policy line. So I tried replacing pam_unix with:

auth            required        pam_deny.so             no_warn

However for some reason even if OPIE is available it still fails to authenticate using PAM so I guess I misunderstood how sufficient works (at least with respect to pam_deny in a chain) since I would expect it to break out of the chain if pam_opie passes which it should if the account has an entry in /etc/opiekeys. I've included my sshd_config below as well.

Port 22
Protocol 2
AllowGroups ssh-users
DenyGroups nologin
PasswordAuthentication no
PermitEmptyPasswords no
PermitRootLogin no
UsePAM yes
ChallengeResponseAuthentication yes
PubkeyAuthentication yes
StrictModes yes
UseDNS yes
UsePrivilegeSeparation yes
X11Forwarding no
TCPKeepAlive yes
MaxAuthTries 3
MaxStartups 8:50:16
Compression delayed
Banner /etc/ssh/sshd-login-banner
Subsystem       sftp    /usr/libexec/sftp-server

I've read the docs here: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/pam/index.html

I thought I understood them but, I'm sure that there's just something simple that I'm missing and I can't find any examples of somebody else who has used this exact configuration anywhere. This is my first venture in the land of PAM so any help would be greatly appreciated!

cheers,
Gabe

--
Gabriel O'Brien