While I am not exactly new to FreeBSD or other *nix variants, I choose to use
FreeBSD because of its blazing performance, especially on older, slower
machines. Yet, I also wish to strip that kernel to squeeze out every bit of
usable power I can. My delving into kernel customizing with FreeBSD has been
realativly short, and for the most part error free, but in comparison to Linux,
it seems to offer fewer customizing options.

  More specificly, many of my machines are being setup as servers, and thusly
have no need of many services such as sound drivers, yet it appears that I see
code for them passing by the screen as I configure and compile. Has anyone here
delved deeper into the configuration of the kernel, are there more options is
other files aside from the main configuration file?

  Andrew