On 23/04/2006, at 5:25 PM, P.U.Kruppa wrote:

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006, Malcolm Fitzgerald wrote:

I'm trying to install a Brother HL-1230 printer. I've been to the Brother web site and found that they don't have drivers for FreeBSD but they do provide the source code. I downloaded the source code. So far so good. I unzipped the tarball and had a look. There's the source code.

I don't know what to do with it. I've learnt to type "make install clean". How do I make this code into something useful?

sad kid :-(
I guess make install clean will not be enough for that.

For a start have a look at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/printing.html
and try to make your printer print "something" at all.
Also reading it will teach you some new words :-)

Then there exist two well known programms which can help you to set up your printer correctly
/usr/ports/print/apsfilter
and
/usr/ports/print/cups
I would try apsfilter first, since it works a bit more intuitively.

Cups is installed and running. I've tried using a few of the other printer definitions without success. Printing the test page produces a blank page or a dozen blank pages. I was hoping to be able to compile the source code for the driver and put it somewhere that cups can find it.

malcolm