On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Jonathan Horne wrote:

[...] the installworld comes while in single user mode, and my production server would see quite a bit of downtime over this.

Just a couple more data points. I have two machines, an elderly K6-2 running at 400 MHz and a relatively modern P4 running at 3.4 GHz. 'make installworld' takes about 8 minutes on the slow machine, and just a few seconds on the fast one. Point being that you needn't have much downtime for this.

ive seen several articles on the net, and of course, no one agrees on the exact steps to take to update your system. my question is, is it safe to 'mergemaster' and 'make installworld' while still up and running? or do i just need to bite the downtime-bullet, and put it in single user?

That's what I would do, but it depends on how lucky you feel. There are ways to get to the console without traveling to the colo.

HTH, and good luck.

--
Chris Hill               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]