--- Kevin Kinsey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Peter wrote:
> > Hi.  I have a question regarding how distfiles become available to
> the
> > ports tree.  For example, on freshports it says that a version is
> > available (since March 28) for a given port.  When I attempt to
> install
> > the port ("make install clean") I see that FreeBSD is trying to
> find
> > the distfile for the same version but it fails.  When I manually
> take a
> > look at the distfile location the version indeed does not exist.
> So
> > how can this happen?
>

> Ports tree out of date?  (doesn't seem overly likely, but...)

No.  Not on my end.

> Hoster problems?

Not sure.

> Newer version exists?

No.

> Version change backed out due to security issues?

Not sure.

> "   "    "  performance issues?

Not sure.

> Distfiles moved ... (see first one above....)

Older versions exist.

> Need better MASTER_SITE variable?

Not sure how to change.

> Bill Fenner does some work on this: see:
>
>       http://people.freebsd.org/~fenner/portsurvey/bad.html

multitail is not listed.

Notes:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/ports/sysutils/multitail > make install clean
===>  Vulnerability check disabled, database not found
=> multitail-3.8.10.tgz doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/.
=> Attempting to fetch from http://www.vanheusden.com/multitail/.
fetch: http://www.vanheusden.com/multitail/multitail-3.8.10.tgz: size
mismatch: expected 82860, actual 422
=> Attempting to fetch from
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/.
fetch:
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/multitail-3.8.10.tgz:
File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
=> Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this
=> port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/ and try again.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/multitail.