On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Malcolm Fitzgerald wrote:

I'm trying to install a Brother HL-1230 printer.

Did you also have a look at
http://linuxprinting.org/show_driver.cgi?driver=hl1250&fromprinter=Brother-HL-1230
?
I think you might be lucky: they have got a .ppd file there for you (Brother-HL-1230-hl1250.ppd ). Download it, put it into
 /usr/local/share/cups/model/
restart cups by
# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd restart
and try setup on http://localhost:631

No luck! Downloaded and installed the PPD. Cups can see it.
That is one success at least: it means a working driver is available.

I've set up a printer.

location: lpt0
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs
device URI: parallel:/dev/lpt0

Printing the test page does not work, the job is aborted with error: client-error-not-possible
The most probable reason for this is that some user permissions are set incorrectly. We have to analyze this step by step.
1) Try to print directly from the command line:
     # printf "Hello World \f" > /dev/lpt0
   If your printer is connected correctly to your parallel port,
   *something* should be printed out.

Uli.

malcolm