On Wednesday 26 April 2006 09:46, Thomas Ludwig wrote:
> > If the problem is Apache, though, it doesn't explain the other problems
> > I've been having, like the corrupted ftp uploads. Perhaps they are
> > unrelated? Or perhaps Apache is not the problem?
>
> I recommend checking your hardware.  I had a similar problem with huge
> files, although unrelated to Apache.  Files bigger than ~2GB would
> *seem* to be corrupted.  I suspect its the hard disk drive, because
> lowering the ATA bus speed (atacontrol mode ad0 UDMA33) made this
> problem go away (the drive is a SAMSUNG SP1614N TM100-24).  This
> problem occurred with different motherboard chipsets and different
> versions of FreeBSD (5-stable, 6-PRERELEASE), so I really think it is
> the hard disk drive.

Thanks very much. In my case the files involved are very small, and it seems
to be only one file at the moment, so I am hold out the hope that you're
wrong - but I'll certainly check in case you're right.

Could anyone give me a hint as to how to get started checking the hardware?
It's a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. I really don't have the foggiest idea what
to look for or what to check - I've never had any problems with it before.

Cheers,
Ben