On Apr 26, 2006, at 12:34 AM, Nikolas Britton wrote:

On 4/25/06, Parv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[snip]
Thanks parv... I meant the algorithm was clunky, not the code... I'm
so new at this that I can't read your code, and I have a hard enough
time reading mine own :-).

I've got another simple problem now. How do I get this code to stop
printing everything on a newline, I'm not using \n in my print
statement so why does it do that and how do I get it to stop?

@wordlist1 = `sed /^$sedstring1\\\$/\\!d < enable2k_wordlist`;
foreach (@wordlist1) {
  $string = $_;
  $string =~ s/[$solvedletters1]//g;
  my @chars = split("", $string);
  $string = ""; @chars = sort (@chars);
    foreach (@chars) {
      $string .= $_;
    }
  $string =~ tr///cs;
  print "$string";
}

Hi Nikolas,

Most likely, your input has '\n' characters at the end of every line, and you aren't doing anything in perl to strip those away. Try adding a 'chomp($string);' line before you print.

-Andy Reitz.