Mike,
I have a similar configuration to yours: RR cable modem, SMC Baracade, FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE and Mozilla.

I just called up WWW.CNN.COM and the first page came up in just a couple of seconds.

From your description, the only possible differences are:
I'm running 4.7-STABLE
and Mozilla 1.1

For whatever use you can make of this input...
Cheers...

Mike Jeays wrote:

 I am using Mozilla 1.0 with FreeBSD 4.7.  The machine is attached to
a cable-TV high-speed service via an SMC Barricade router. I get
IP addresses assigned by DHCP running on the router.

I have tried without the router (connecting directly to the
cable modem), and get the same results.

When browsing certain web sites, including www.cnn.com, there
is about a 90 second delay when I load the first page; subsequent
pages are quite fast.  I don't get the same problem with Windows
2000.

Any suggestions, please?  Do I need to enable a DNS caching server?