On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 03:35:03AM +0200, Arne Skjaerholt wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 14:48 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> >     I like the C  "main(int argc, char *argv[])" intro or
> >     starting-point.  main() has to be there in C. Given argc
> >     and argv, I can hack away freely.  /bin/sh, /bin/csh,
> >     and perl's lack if arg[cv] means that I have to think about
> >     how-to grab the arguments to a binary. Script ot ./a.out.
> Getting at argv/argc is actually pretty simple in Perl. The global array
> @ARGV contains the arguments given on the command-line, but not the name
> of the file (this datum is contained in $0). Therefore your argv[1] in C
> is $ARGV[0] in Perl. The number of command-line arguments can be
> obtained in two ways, either you interpret the array in a scalar context
> and get its length: ``my $argc = scalar @ARGV'' or you use the last
> index of the array and add one: ``my $argc = $#ARGV + 1''. Of course, in
> most cases you'll just want to loop over the command-line args, so a
> foreach loop should suffice, or of course one of the Getopt (Getopt::Std
> or Getopt::Long in most cases) modules.

        So, could I say:

        my $argc = $#ARGV+1; $count = 0;
        while ($argc--)
        {
                if (! (checkErr($ARGV[$count], $count)))
                {
                        printf("Processing %s\n", $ARGV[$count]);
                        doWhatever($ARGV[$count]);
                }
                $count++;
        }

        or something close-to!?  If Larry Wall had only made perl
        a bit closer to C, I probably would've used it more.

        anyway, thanks!

        gary

   Gary Kline     [EMAIL PROTECTED]   www.thought.org     Public service Unix