From: Mike Jeays [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2002 9:48 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Browser delays

I am using Mozilla 1.0 with FreeBSD 4.7. The machine is attached to
a cable-TV high-speed service via an SMC Barricade router. I get
IP addresses assigned by DHCP running on the router.

I have tried without the router (connecting directly to the
cable modem), and get the same results.

When browsing certain web sites, including www.cnn.com, there
is about a 90 second delay when I load the first page; subsequent
pages are quite fast. I don't get the same problem with Windows
2000.

Any suggestions, please? Do I need to enable a DNS caching server?

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.  I can confirm that Dean and
Robin are right.  I rebuilt a kernel with INET6 disabled, and the problem
has entirely gone away. Great!  (All that work just to see CNN's page
a few seconds earlier...)