On Apr 28, 2006, at 6:57 PM, patrick wrote:

I'm trying to run BIND inside a jail on FreeBSD 6.0, and I'm
encountering the following problem:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] /var/named]# /etc/rc.d/named start
mount_devfs: Operation not permitted
/etc/rc.d/named: WARNING: devfs_domount(): Unable to mount devfs on
/var/named/dev
devfs rule: ioctl DEVFSIO_RAPPLY: Operation not permitted
devfs rule: ioctl DEVFSIO_RAPPLY: Operation not permitted
Starting named.

And then it doesn't start...

(I realize that BIND already runs in a chroot'd environment, but I'm
running a second copy of BIND on an existing development server as a
secondary test environment.)

The problem looks like it originates in /etc/rc.d/named:

       # Mount a devfs in the chroot directory if needed
       #
       umount ${named_chrootdir}/dev 2>/dev/null
       devfs_domount ${named_chrootdir}/dev devfsrules_hide_all
       devfs -m ${named_chrootdir}/dev rule apply path null unhide
       devfs -m ${named_chrootdir}/dev rule apply path random unhide

I tried mounting the devfs outside the jail to the jail's
/var/named/dev, and then commenting out these lines above, but named
will still not start. Does anyone have any suggestions?

mount a devfs into the jails /dev and you should be all set. I am running bind in a jail under fbsd 6 no problem and I did not have to do anything special except set up the jail according to man jail

Chad

Thanks,

Patrick

---