On Apr 29, 2006, at 4:21 AM, Gerard Seibert wrote:

jekillen wrote:

On Apr 28, 2006, at 5:38 PM, Gerard Seibert wrote:

jekillen wrote:

Hello:
I have had a problem with installing MySQL 5.0.18 on a FreeBSD v 6.0
installation
where everything seems to compile and install correctly but the server
crashes
immediately on start up with permission to create/write it's .pid file
denied.
Then the screen saver daemon refuses to start in X windows with a
permission denied
error. It originally worked fine. But at some point recently the
screen
saver quit working.
When I went to Gnome preferences and tried to set the screen saver I
was
informed that the screen saver daemon wasn't running. When I tried to
have it
start I was presented with the permission denied error and to check
the
$path
variable.
I tried installing MySQL twice, each time with the same problem.
As I understand it, permissions in Unix are part of the file system
format.
The only possible link between MySQL and the screen saver daemon,
possibly, is the
mysql user needed to run mysqld.

Could I have a corrupted file system in such a way as to cause
permission problems?

thanks in advance.
JK

Are you starting MySQL with the script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ upon
bootup?

Boy that was fast, I just posted this message a moment ago...
No I was just testing it using the mysqld_safe --user=mysql & approach.

It won't work that way.

Sorry, yes it does work that way. I've done this on another
machine running the same version of FreeBSD and the instruction
specifically specify to start the daemon this way to test the install.
(I installed from source on both machines using the same source
tarball).
Every time I start this machine I start MySQL manually this way.
(Since this is a production server, it is up continuously and
it doesn't have Xwindows installed)
 I made the same mistake once myself. You might
have introduced another problem however. The files created in
'/var/db/mysql' [probable have the wrong permissions set on them.
This is a possibility, I'll check it out.

The easiest fix would be to just remove that directory and then start
mysql properly. Usually '/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server start' should
do the trick. The directories will be build correctly.

At then end of the build of mysql are directions for creating users. You
do that after mysql has been started.
not according to the instruction in the INSTALL-SOURCE.
 If you no longer have that
information, I can supply you with it.
I'm confused as to the class of user to assign mysql to.
It shouldn't be a user that anyone can login as, nor have
it's own home dir or login shell should it? adduser asks
and expects answers to all these questions. I don't recall
what I did on the machine that is running mysql. I guess
I could look at the password file on that machine to get
some idea.
Since the machine that won't start MySQL also has
XWindows intalled, the kdm login prompt list mysql
as a user that can log into a windowing session.
That shouldn't be necessary at all. That is why I
think the issue with the screen saver daemon
is connected to this.

HTH

--
Gerard Seibert
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

     "I earn a seven-figure salary.  Unfortunately, there's
     a decimal point involved."

          Anonymous