P.U.Kruppa wrote:
On Tue, 2 May 2006, Eric Schuele wrote:

Hello,

While this should be of absolutely no real concern.... my lack of ability to resolve it is causing me sleepless nights. I'm sure this should be an easy one... I just can't seem to fix it.

Everything cups related is working perfectly fine. However, my dmesg shows the following:

Starting cupsd.
Starting cupsd.
cupsd: Child exited with status 48!
Usage: cups {reload|restart|start|status|stop}

And its driving me crazy! Cupsd is trying to start twice? and the second time is giving an error.

What have I done wrong here?
[~]         % ls /etc/rc.d | grep cups
[~]
% ls /usr/local/etc/rc.d | grep cups
cups.sh.delme*
cups.sh.sample*
cupsd.delme*
cupsd.sample*
cupsd.sh*
Nowadays all executable scripts in rc.d/ will be executed, not only those ending on .sh

Yes.  That was it.  Thanks.

However, I had thought that the behavior to be different. My man page (from 6.0-RC?) reads:
The following key points apply to old-style scripts in
     /usr/local/etc/rc.d/:

ยท   Scripts are only executed if their basename(1) matches the shell
    globbing pattern *.sh, and they are executable.  Any other files or
    directories present within the directory are silently ignored.

Has the behavior changed? It was my understanding that files with *.sh or no extension (yet executable), would be run.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Uli.

[~]         % grep cups /etc/rc.conf
cupsd_enable="YES"
#cups_enable="YES"

Using FreeBSD 6.1-RC as of Sat some time... but had this problem quite a while. I'm sure it started the last time I rebuilt the machine (two month back maybe). And I'm sure its a config error on my part.

Any help is appreciated.

--
Regards,
Eric