> > > FreeBSD's linker doesn't add /usr/local/lib to the search path by
> > > default, unlike some other operating systems.  The "-L/usr/local/lib"
> > > flag is therefore required...
> >
> > but ldconfig already found the library (line 441)!?
>
> ld(1) doesn't consult ldconfig(8).

oh, I was probably confused by the `man ldconfig`:

 "The ldconfig utility is used to prepare a set of ``hints'' for use by the
 dynamic linker to facilitate quick lookup of shared libraries available [...]"

The 'dynamic linker' doesn't mean 'compiler's linker' here, I suppose.

In any case, how do I tell ld(1) where to look without specifying '-L' or
modifying Makefie? I tried `export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/lib"` and
`echo "/usr/local/lib" > /etc/ld.so.conf`, but nothing changed.

Timestamp: 0x44617F2B
[SorAlx]  ridin' VN1500-B2