On 02/05/2006, at 10:18 PM, I wrote:

The story is this: two identical WD 250GB SATA drives, attached to a Promise FastTrak S150 TX2plus.

The drives work fine independently (ie non-mirrored). But when I mirror them using GEOM, I get filesystem corruption (see below for example fsck output).

It seems that this was caused by the (infamous) problem when softupdates and write caching are both enabled. Disabling write caching seems to have fixed the problem.

Unfortunately the disk write performance is woeful. There must be a better way surely?

Is anyone using GEOM mirrors on ATA disks with softupdates and write caching? If so, what's your secret?