People,

I have just set up my 5.4 box as a gateway to my DSL connection. I
used this section of the freebsd handbook.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/pppoe.html

I enabled NAT on the PPP connection, and viola, it works.

I still have to set up my firewall, but I'm curious about how natd works.

Looking here

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-natd.html

I tried to run natd, but I got an error that the socket type was not
supported. Do I really need to recompile the GENERIC kernel in 5.4 to
support NAT?

I'm also unclear about how to tell natd which local networks to NAT.

Also, why is NAT capability in both PPP and natd?

If you hadn't noticed, I'm confused. :)

Thanks,
Mike
--