Hi all...

Ok... More info for the puzzle.....

I'm trying to move a file system from one disk to another, and when I do
this:

tar cf - /source/* | ( cd /destination && tar xfv - )

It copies all the files, but the symbolic links are copied as files of 0
length, rather than re-established as links.

BUT

When I just:

tar -cf file.tar /source/*

And then:

tar -xf file.tar

Then the symbolic links are made correctly.... Any reason why this should
work and not the piped version for 'all in one' copying?

If it's an actual filesystem why not use dump/restore?

Otherwise I'm not sure, but you might also want to add in -pS to handle permissions and sparse files as well...

-philip