Olivier Nicole wrote:
 I'm trying to move a file system from one disk to another, and when I do
this:

I think that the way to go is:

tar cf - /source/* | ( cd /destination && tar xfvBp - )

Note the Bp at the end of the extract tar.

olivier

Is that for BSD tar, or gtar (GNU)?  We still haven't decided
which is offering the problem, and I don't find "-B"
described in bsdtar(1), although I can see why you'd want
it in gtar, perhaps.

Nonetheless, the tests I made with both tars didn't seem
to have this problem.  Can Don confirm whether this only occurs
if /source/ is a filesystem mount point?  (Also, which tar
are you using?

KDK

--
Computer programs expand so as to fill the core available.