I have done both the binary upgrade and cvsup'd many times. Which is better depends on your time and what version you are moving from and to. If you do a binary upgrade, you will only be at the release of the version, say 6.1, but with any current security releases. I typically upgrade a system to the base release using a binary upgrade, then will cvsup then build world, etc. to have it be current.

        -Derek

This has possibly been discussed a number of times, and if it has, I
apologize.  Here is my situation:

I would like to upgrade my existing 6.0-SECURITY system to 6.1-RELEASE
and continue using freebsd-update to keep my system on the up and up.
I read through the upgrade instructions on disk #1 of the 6.1 release
CD and wondered if that would be the easiest way to upgrade?

From what I read, all of the configuration files for 6.1 would be in
the /etc/upgrade folder.  Would they have to stay there?  Would 6.1,
from this point forward, always have the /etc folder in /etc/upgrade?
Do I copy new pieces back to /etc for the production system?  I read
about merging but does it merge from /etc to /etc/upgrade?

Is another scenario to do the cvsup method and go that route?  If I
did, would I be able to use freebsd-update from that point forward or
would I be limited to only using the cvsup method?

I know both require merging config files and what not, which makes me
a little nervous, but I would like the easiest method available.  I
love using FreeBSD and use it primarily on my laptop so compiling the
entire OS on there may take a while so obviously the binary upgrade
looks good.  I am just unsure about the /etc/upgrade folder and how I
get all of that back to /etc.

I am somewhat a "noobert" in FreeBSD... I have been using it for less
than a year and really enjoy it over my past Linux experiences.
However, things like this make me nervous.  This is my first upgrade
of a machine I use *all* the time.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff Cross
http://www.averageadmins.com/