> As for general un*x books that are not FreeBSD-specific, the
> single best one I've used is _Essential_System_Administration_ by
> Aeleen Frisch. As a newbie I found this book enormously helpful
> and well worth having.

        My vote: _Unix Systems Administration Handbook_ by Nemeth et
alia.  The third edition, now five years old, needs an update but is
still my "stranded on a desert island"* choice.

                                        Robert Huff

* - You will be stranded on a desert island with disfunctional Unix
systems not of your choosing. You may take one printed book to help
you get them working.