On May 13, 2006, at 11:40 pm, Tom Norris wrote:
I'm trying to convince my boss to let me set up a FreeBSD system as file server. He said he would allow it if he could use Microsoft's RDP client (not VNC or SSH :( ) to connect and monitor the machine at his whim. Are there any daemons that will take incoming RDP connections?

I think your boss is missing the point slightly ... he hasn't got an MCSE has he? ;)

I'm 99% sure the only RDP servers come with windoze. Why don't you install KDE on your file server (ick) and install another windows box under your desk permanently VNC'd into it. Then he can RDP to that and he will never know the difference :)

We have a Win2k3 server and I can't tell you how many times I've nearly kicked it to pieces because we used the TWO remote sessions and couldn't log in. Once, we used up both RDP sessions, the VNC server crashed, and when I plugged the mouse and keyboard in it wouldn't respond (bloody PS2!!!) I lost my rag and yanked the power cord.

On a less it's-late-and-I'm-feeling-sarcastic note, perhaps you could just set the server up to e-mail him the output of essential stats, like du -h. I still don't see why he feels the need to monitor the file server though. Surely that's your job!

Just my opinionated twopence...

Ashley