Yea, Colin's the man.

http://www.daemonology.net/portsnap/ highlights all the beneifts.

-David

At 01:35 PM 5/13/2006, Tom Moore wrote:
>Which program is best for retrieving and keeping the ports tree up
>to date? What are some pros and cons of each approach? Is one method
>better than the other?

I just discovered portsnap a couple months ago after loading a couple
new machines with 6.0.  It is AWESOME (thanks, Colin! (the guy that
developed it)).

Do not even screw with cvsup for your ports.  portsnap is faster,
easier, and (I'm told) even lower bandwith and server
overhead.  About the only downside, is it has a directory in /var/db
that was about 50MB with a bunch of little files last I looked, and I
suspect it grows with time.  But what's disk space these days?

   -Wayne