> The FreeBSD ports system + portsnap + portupgrade is a truly awesome
> combination, much better than any other package management system I've
> ever
> used on other systems.
>
> I'm currently working on a little port configuration tool to make
tweaking
> all
> the port Make knobs more convenient.

Portmanager already has this I believe.  You can add config options to
the portmanager config file and it will use them when building things.
For example:

#####################
# custom settings   #
# remove "#" to use #
#####################
#textproc/docproj|JADETEX=no|
#java/jdk14|-DMINIMAL|
#textproc/libxml2|THREADS=off SCHEMA=on MEM_DEBUG=off XMLLINT_HIST=off
THREAD_ALLOC=off|
#
#
##
##do not let portmanager update the following ports
#IGNORE|editors/openoffice-1.1|
#IGNORE|java/jdk14|

www/horde|WITHOUT_WV=yes WITHOUT_XL=yes WITHOUT_X11=yes WITH_MAGICK=yes|
mail/imp|WITHOUT_LDAP=yes WITHOUT_SMIME=yes WITH_DOVECOT=yes|
graphics/ImageMagick|WITHOUT_X11=yes|
print/ghostscript-gnu|WITHOUT_X11=yes|

works well for me so far.