On 5/15/06, Matt Bostock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
A couple of questions regarding FreeBSD-Update:

1. How do I update from 6.0-RELEASE to 6.1-RELEASE or 6-STABLE using
FreeBSD-Update? I've tried downloading the ISO and doing it that
way but 'uname' remains unchanged.

You just didn't get the point. freebsd-update is not aimed to upgrade
a box from one version to another, but to apply security updates to a
release.

Make sure you read and understand the following:
- http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-update/
- man freebsd-update

2. How does FreeBSD-Update know which branch to follow
(STABLE, CURRENT or RELEASE)?

freebsd-update works only on RELEASEs

3. I tried upgrading to 6.1 using the ISO method, and am getting this:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]freebsd-update fetch
Fetching updates signature...
Fetching hash list signature...
Examining local system...

The following files are affected by security
fixes, but have not been updated because they
have been modified locally:

/bin/rmail
/usr/bin/edit
/usr/bin/ee
/usr/bin/ree
/usr/bin/vacation
/usr/lib/libmilter.a
/usr/lib/libmilter.so.3
/usr/libexec/mail.local
/usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail
/usr/libexec/smrsh
/usr/sbin/editmap
/usr/sbin/mailstats
/usr/sbin/makemap
/usr/sbin/praliases

No updates available

...AFAIK I haven't altered these files. How can I force
the update? I have a feeling this is related to
the above questions ;)

Yes, it is.

Many thanks,

Things will get pretty clear once you read the above mentioned...

Matt Bostock

--
Pietro Cerutti