Kyrre,

How large is your /var slice? If it's large enough to fit /home (or at least
the files you'd like to save), maybe try booting into single-user mode,
mount /usr and /var, wipe out /var, copy the files from /usr/home to /var,
and just remember to document what slice /var was. Then you could just
reinstall the base system around it using a 6.1-RELEASE CD, no?

Just a shot in the dark...

-David

On 5/16/06, Kyrre Nygard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

At 11:12 16.05.2006, Donald J. O'Neill wrote:
>On Tuesday 16 May 2006 03:30, Kyrre Nygard wrote:
> >
> > Hello Don!
> >
> > Yes it's the `make buildworld' as far as I know.
> >
> > The /etc/make.conf contains PERL_VER=5.8.7 and PERL_VERSION=5.8.7.
> >
> > Is it possible, do you think, to use a FreeSBIE CD maybe to clean out
> > everything on my harddrive but my /home/kyrre where all my important
> > files are, and then reinstall the latest FreeBSD without
> > reformatting?
> >
> > It might be risky, let's say I hit the wrong switch and it does
> > format everything,
> > but you get my point right? To just lay a new FreeBSD on top of an
> > empty harddrive?
> >
> > I hope this is possible somehow ...
> >
> > Well, take care Don!
> >
> > -- Kyrre
>Is /home on a slice of its own. Mine is, for the reason that if I have
>to blow off the system and reinstall, I can safely do that, as long as
>I don't make any changes to /home, just remount it as /home. You can do
>this with sysinstall, very easlily.
>
>Send the output from 'df', I can tell from that.
>
>Don

Hello!

Actually, my /home is under /usr ... uh oh huh?
No can do then?

Thanks for the tip of having /home as a seperate slice though,
I'll treasure it for the rest of my days!

Peace,
Kyrre