Oh dear!

I thought I was getting somewhere, but progress is painfully slow until I can istall a browser and get it to work, so that I can look up solutions to the avalanche of 'challenges' that seem to befalling this newbie!

So, I installed Firefox from ports, having made sure everything was bang up to date. Evrything seemed to go perfectly well, but lo and behold, first attempt to use it and I get this:

(firefox-bin:582): Gtk-Warning **: Cannot open display

What the..?

I have searched for this problem and found plenty of references similar error messages, but none of it seems to apply in my case. I am not trying to run Firefox as root, I am not doing it from a remote terminal, I am not standing in a bucket of water, I have the computer plugged in.

Any clues?