Sorry to be jumping into this late.

On 15 May 2006 at 8:57, "Ted Mittelstaedt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> No, you get to vote on the selection of various bits of code changes.

That sounds more realistic to me than assuming committers are also
the sole FreeBSD "esthetic committee" too.

> But
> no amount of your voting is going to instantly change the recognized logo
> of FreeBSD from Beastie to the sex-toy.  Ranting on questions has far more
> ability to make or break use of the sex-toy logo by the FreeBSD userbase
> than voting on current.

I must admit that logo seemed a bit strange to me when I saw it on
the website.  Sorta cold and a bit too abstract for my taste.

It reminds me of what Mozilla did with their dragon - removed it from
the browser's splash-screen because some minority of people thought
it was "demonic" or "evil" or something. So sad.

I think people need to get over themselves and personally I think the
"beastie" is nicely irreverent and has a palpable "personality" one
can relate to, especially since you can be sure that very few
"gargantuan publicly-held companies" would ever get away with using
something similiar.

I wonder if anyone has heard Kirk McKusick's input on this.. then
again, perhaps he's a bit biased?  :-)