John Nielsen wrote:
On Tuesday 16 May 2006 17:07, Barnaby Scott wrote:
Kevin Kinsey wrote:
Barnaby Scott wrote:
So, I installed Firefox from ports, having made sure everything was
bang up to date. Evrything seemed to go perfectly well, but lo and
behold, first attempt to use it and I get this:

(firefox-bin:582): Gtk-Warning **: Cannot open display

What the..?

I have searched for this problem and found plenty of references
similar error messages, but none of it seems to apply in my case. I am
not trying to run Firefox as root, I am not doing it from a remote
terminal, I am not standing in a bucket of water, I have the computer
plugged in.
I think these are Good Things(tm), 'though I have been able to operate
a browser whilst standing in a bucket of water.

Q: Are you running an X display at the time this message is given,
or are you attempting to run Firefox from the console?

Kevin Kinsey
I have tried both. It is running from the console that gives the message
  quoted - if I am running an X display at the time it fails with no
message at all.

This is a Firefox oddity. It needs to be run as root one time after it is installed (or [sometimes] upgraded). Do this from an xterm:

cd
su
cp .Xauthority /root
firefox

Assuming the browser window comes up, you can just close it. You should be able to run it as a regular user afterwards.

JN

Thanks for both bits of advice - one of them worked, though I'm not sure which!

So now I can strat Firefox from an xterm, but 2 things still puzzle me though: 1) Forgive my stupidity, but why can I not start Firefox from the console? Or rather, what could I do to make it do so with a single command? 2) I thought Firefox wasn't going to start from the xterm, but really it just took ages - far longer than I am used to with my old OS (same machine). Is there something I am missing here too?