On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 12:34:09PM +0100, Marcel Stangenberger wrote:
> > In article <info.freebsd.questions/[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you
>wrote:
> > >I was working in my X-client lastnight (i use Exceed from my workstation
> > >to connect to the X-Client on my FreeBSD server) when i lost my dhcp lease
> > >due to a faulty config. Because of this my X session crashed. Now my
> > >Xclient refuses to give me a logon screen when i start Exceed. I'm
> > >guessing it has a file somewhere saying that i'm still logged in or
> > >something. But i can't seem to find this file (or any other reason for
> > >this beheavure). Can anyone tell me what is going on and how i can fix
> > >this?
> >
> > Sometimes the X server or other X components are still running. In
> > similar circumstances, I use
> >
> >     ps axw | grep X
> >
> > and kill any X components that I see.
> >

> I've tried restarting xdm (killall -HUP xdm) but that didn't help.
> I've also restarted the entire machine, but that didn't help either.
>
> I've just tried to connect using another computer, but that didn't work
> either. So i'm now thinking of reinstalling XFree86
>
> Marcel

Ugh, hopefully it won't come to that :-(  You might have been onto
something with your comment about lock files -- XFree86 creates various
hidden files in /tmp, for instance I have:

        .ICE-unix/
        .X0-lock
        .X110unix/

You might try deleting all of those (if you have them) and restarting xdm
again.  I'm not entirely sure it'll help, but it's worth a try.

HTH,

        Scott