What sort of messages???

you can use vt terminal encoding to make things change colour/flash,

or for email, use html and if the MUA copes with HTML you'll get colours.

--
martin

        I would like to introduce color into my messages,
particularly to the background.  How can I do this?  Is there a sequence
of characters that I can put into a message that will change the background
of the rest of the message (or until a similar sequence is encountered) to
the color designated by this sequence, and if so,
what is the color/sequence relationship?  Similarly for foreground
(i.e., the characters) color.

uname -a
FreeBSD  4.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #0: Sat Apr 21 10:54:49 GMT
2001     [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386