> Hi All,
>
> I have a FreeBSD 5.3 box on which I have been adding references to
> autostart various daemons in /etc/rc.conf - apache, mysql, openvpn etc...

What exactly are you putting in to rc.conf?
Do you mean stuff like:   moused_enable="YES"
or are they executable commands.
What goes in rc.conf is setting variables that are checked by
startup processes.

> The daemons have suddenly stopped auto-starting and after each physical
> restart of the server I have to manually run these daemons via
> their .sh files in /etc/local/rc.d.

Have you checked log files to see if they attempted to start and
if they put out any error messages?   Without that, it is hard
to tell anything.   For example, apache start will fail if a NIC
binding it expects is not there. It puts a message in /var/log/messages
and gives up.   Others generaly log an error message somewhere.

> Can anyone offer an explanation or guide me as to where to look to
> figure out what is going on.

Maybe, after you get more information.

////jerry