On Fri, 19 May 2006, Kyrre Nygard wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Got a weird question here ...
>
> I'm a bit curious as to how one can make multiple computers
> act as one network. I'm not talking merely /etc/hosts and gateways
> or some VPN where connections are just encrypted, but like
> something more ... neural, you all feel me? where the operating
> systems themselves act together in a distributed fashion.
>
> Does something like this even exist?

Hi Kyrre,

I don't know of any "neural" network packages off the top of my head, but
there are distributed programming mechanisms such as MPI (message
passing), Charm++ (distributed objects), and even Apple's Xgrid[1]
(distribute compute-intensive tasks), that can all probably be made to
work on FreeBSD.

Are any of these similiar to what you are looking for?

-Andy.

[1] Xgrid main page: http://www.apple.com/acg/xgrid/
    Xgrid unix agent: http://unu.novajo.ca/simple/archives/000026.html