On 2006-05-20 02:20, Mikhail Goriachev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sendmail and I aren't getting along well. I got this FreeBSD
> 6.0-RELEASE-p7 box doing SMTP work for me. Everything is fine, but a few
> domains give me headaches with "Deferred: Operation timed out with
> <server here>" errors. One domain in particular I'm trying to get to
> work is hospitaldeninos.cl
>
> $ host hospitaldeninos.cl
> hospitaldeninos.cl has address 200.31.44.1
> mail is handled by 4 nt_sql_server2.hospitaldeninos.cl.
> mail is handled by 5 mail.hospitaldeninos.cl.
>
> Whenever I try to send anything to that domain I just get the following
> in my logs:
>
> [...] delay=01:00:57, xdelay=00:01:15, mailer=esmtp, pri=210425,
> relay=mail.hospitaldeninos.cl. [200.29.150.146], dsn=4.0.0,
> stat=Deferred: Operation timed out with mail.hospitaldeninos.cl.

For some reason, your Sendmail setup tries to find out the IP address of
the MX for `hospitaldeninos.cl' and it resolves this to the wrong mail
server:

    mail.hospitaldeninos.cl

This would tend to work fine, as long as either one of the two MX hosts
of the domain accepted email, but there are also problems connecting to
the `mail.hospitaldeninos.cl:SMTP' service too.

What do the following files contain in the FreeBSD system that fails to
resolve the MX records correctly?

        /etc/hosts
        /etc/resolv.conf
        /etc/host.conf