[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

        Since I'm asking about  FreeBSD (version 4.3), I'm asking about the
echo ,  print ,  printf , etc. commands, and similar commands ib  PERL ,  awk ,
etc.
        Where can I find the  vt terminal encoding  for this (hopefully on the
internet)?

Hi

a simple googlin' for vt100 color codes brings this as first hit:
tp://www.termsys.demon.co.uk/vtansi.htm

you can change colors by the escape sequences shown in the link resource.

for example to get red text use:
echo ^[[31m

you can get the escape character by pressing Ctrl-V followed by escape in bash and vi and i suppose other environments....