Levi Campbell sat at his 'puter and typed on 5/20/2006 8:51:
Why is it that some applications like x11, ratpoison, and firefox come up
instantly while applications like xmms, emacs and thunderbird take about
five minutes to load? I've tried several things to try and fix this.

  - I've deinstalled packages to see if ports was any better and vice
  versa.
  - I've cleaned out /tmp, /var/tmp, and /var/lock and checked free
  space.
  - getting the vanilla sources from the origional FTP site and
  compiling them

Does the hostname for your system resolve? If not, either set it up or put proper entries in /etc/hosts

Thanks and Best Regards
Subhro