On 5/23/06, Jason Lixfeld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm using openssh-portable and the latest versions of openldap,
pam_ldap and nss_ldap.  It appears as though the system is using

I'm not using ssh-portable, but I have it working with the built-in ssh.

user password, even after I enter it in.  I tried putting the
pam_ldap lib in the password section of the /etc/pam.d/sshd file, but
that was useless too.  Local users can ssh in fine.

The pam.d config would be my first guess. What gets logged to all.log?

I searched through the bugs and it seems there is a bug in nss_ldap
with regards to getpwuid, but that seems to be more if an indicator
about why finger doesn't work, not why ssh does't work

# id testuser seems to work, finger doesn't.  Curious.  Anyway, it
still appears as though at least some portions of the system are
using LDAP, which is good.
$ id testuser
uid=2000(testuser) gid=2000(testuser) groups=2000(testuser)
$ finger testuser
finger: testuser: no such user
$

id works because it's using the name service to look up the user (you
added ldap to your nsswitch.conf, right?)

finger doesn't work because you don't have a /etc/pam.d/finger file.
Either create one or add pam_ldap to your /etc/pam.d/system file. (I
always create a new conf file for my ldap enabled apps)

Here is my /etc/pam.d/sshd file, I use the exact same file for all my
ldap enabled apps.:
(if somebody sees a bug in there, or can suggest any improvement, by
all means let me know.)
--

# auth
auth            sufficient      /usr/local/lib/pam_ldap.so

# account
account         sufficient      /usr/local/lib/pam_ldap.so
#account        required        pam_krb5.so
account         required        pam_login_access.so
account         required        pam_unix.so

# session
#session        optional        pam_ssh.so
session         required        pam_permit.so

# password
#password       sufficient      pam_krb5.so             no_warn try_first_pass
password        required        pam_unix.so             no_warn try_first_pass

Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.
--Atom Powers--