--On May 24, 2006 4:32:55 PM +0200 User Gandalf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

  Dear List,

I would like to install an ftp server. Some of the users want to upload
files to the server. I would not like to start an ftp server at all,
because I'm too paranoid. But my users demand it. I looked at the ports
tree and I found many ftp servers. I cannot choose between them. Can you
recommend one for me? I only need one ftp user (possibly with a
password), and upload/list files only. The most important thing is
security, and the ability to handle passive transfers.

Is there a reason they can't use sftp? You're most likely already running sshd, which means you already have sftp capabilities builtin. If the issue is usability, there are a number of gui clients available for all platforms (WinSCP for Windows, for example) that make the process painless.

Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/