On 5/26/06, Miguel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Atom Powers wrote:

> On 5/26/06, Miguel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hi, i have a similar problem, i forgot my root password and the server
>> its in a remote colocation site, is there a way to recover the encrypted
>> password and crackit some way, i have my normal account (which is in
>> wheel group), i even know that the root's pass begings with
>> MAG_"something", but i really cant remember the complete root's pass,
>> rebooting in single user mode is my best bet?
>>

> If you are in wheel, then you should be able to "sudo su" to switch to
> the root account and then "passwd root" to reset the password.

:-(
No luck, this is the error

 > sudo su

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

    #1) Respect the privacy of others.
    #2) Think before you type.
    #3) With great power comes great responsibility.

Password:
mmiranda is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
 > sudo su
mmiranda is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
 > passwd root
passwd: permission denied

I entered my account's password...

Anything more?

Yes. Check your man pages; the format of the sudoers file is very specific.
Usually you can get away with a line like this:
--
%wheel  ALL=(ALL)       ALL

Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.
--Atom Powers--