On Sun, 28 May 2006 22:51:07 +0200
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hans Lambermont) wrote:

> yattaran wrote:
>
> > Hans Lambermont wrote:
> >> What is the maximum file size on a dvd+r ?
> >
> > Here's a list of sites I have bookmarked about DVD sizes:
>
> Hi Yattaran,
>
> I'm not looking into the size of a DVD disc, I'm looking into the size
> limits of a *file* on the DVD. Sorry for the confusion.
>
> I can write a file of 4166629386 bytes to the dvd+r just fine, but
> cannot read it afterwards :
> ls: backup.bz2: Value too large to be stored in data type
>
> The dvddemystified website has an interesting pointer on it in the 'note
> section of chapter 3.3' : "FAT16 also has a 2 gigabyte file size limit"

There is a PR about this:

        ttp://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern-91488

I have a PVR250 tv capture card and it will easily produce files
in excess of 2G.  I applied one of the patches mention in the PR
locally and can read those large files back to the system (and
reapply it after each CVSup since it hasn't been committed).

HTH,

Randy