Today at 7:48pm, Andy Reitz said:

This doesn't sound like a FreeBSD problem to me, but rather a problem with
your sound card being starved for PCI resources when your IDE controller
is being exercised.

That's a good idea. Both the sound card and the IDE controller are built into the motherboard, if I remember right (ASUS A7V8X). Though it does look like they're all going over PCI. I've got VIA VT8235 (Avance Logic ALC650 AC97) for sound, and a Promise PDC20376 SATA150 controller and a Promise PDC20270 UDMA100 controller for the hard drives, which are in a RAID 0 mirroring configuration.

To remedy this, you may need to play around a bit. I found a KB article at
creative that seems to cover this topic in a general fashion:

http://dmzweb4.europe.creative.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=173,E=0000000000127129525,K=5503,Sxi=1,Kb=ww_english_add,VARSET=ws:http://us.creative.com/,Case=obj(6516)

Thanks, I'll have to check that one out.

I guess it's good that I'm getting a new box soon, so hopefully the problem will not be present on the new computer. At least knowing it's a hardware issue, not something dumb I did, makes me feel better at least.

Thanks again,
Mac

--
Mac Newbold             MNE - Mac Newbold Enterprises, LLC
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.macnewbold.com/