I did a fresh install from a 6.1 ISO and then used cvsup to get the the latest
stable, approximately 17:00 EDT May 30,2006.

I did a mergemaster -p at the appropriate spot to add the audit group. I think

The audit group is in 6.1 so why are you doing that??

buildword complained about the missing group. Then I did:

   mergemaster -ai -m "."

Processing started normally when it did 11,627 compiles ending with:

A fresh install of 6.1-RELEASE and then a src upgrade to 6-STABLE?
Your doing something wrong.

make buildworld
make buildkernel
make installkernel