Jerry McAllister writes:

>  The only thing you aren't doing in either of these cases is making
>  that da0s1a bootable.  If you want that, you need to do:

        That's because it already is, and I do _not_ want to change that.
        It's a 4.5 G disk.  When I installed the system, I spent 0.5 G
on /, 1 G for swap, another for /var ... and left the rest
untouched.
        I now have a project that can use that space.

>  If I am doing it by hand, I would prefer using direct edit as in:
>  (NOTE, you apparently already have some usable label on the disk)
>
>  >> bsdlabel -e -r da0s1
>
>  This will bring up an edit session (vi unless you have your editor
>                                      set to something else - I use vi)
>  as follows.
>
>  > # /dev/da0s1:
>  > 8 partitions:
>  > #        size   offset    fstype  [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>  >   a:  1024000        0    4.2BSD      0     0     0
>  >   b:  2097152        *      swap
>  >   c:        *        0    unused      0     0       # "raw" part, don't
> edit
>  >   d:  2097152        *    4.2BSD      0     0     0
>  >   e:        *        *    4.2BSD      0     0     0

        So (using the file method) I can specify the start, use '*' for
the size, and it will compute the correct value for "rest of the slice"?

                        Robert Huff