You may have an old key on the system you are ssh'ing to the downgraded server. Clear your ssh keys and try it again.

        -Derek

At 05:26 PM 5/31/2006, Andrew Reitz wrote:
Hello,

For reasons that I don't want to go into here, I have recently
downgraded my principal FreeBSD server from 6.1 to 4.11-RELEASE. I
did this by installing a fresh copy of FreeBSD 4.11 on a clean HD,
and then I rsync'd all of my data over.

Everything has been working fine, until I tried to SSH to the box
this afternoon. While everything was working fine this morning, now
sshd hangs up immediately on all clients that attempt to connect. In / var/log/messages, I see errors like this for every ssh connection
attempt:

May 31 15:21:06 redefine sshd[8543]: error: ssh_dss_sign: sign failed
May 31 15:21:06 redefine sshd[8543]: fatal: mm_answer_sign: key_sign
failed

Google hasn't enlightened me at all. This was *just* working a few
hours ago, and now, nada. Does anyone on this list have any ideas?

Thanks,
        -Andy Reitz.

believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.