Robin Becker wrote:
Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN] wrote:
Simply create a "normal" user and create a mail alias address so that all mail to root gets forwarded to the normal user. Then setup your mail client to login to pop3 using the username & passwd of the normal user.

Setting up an alias is easy. Simply add the following line to /etc/aliases to forward root's email to normal_user :
root: normal_user

that's a good answer and will allow my despamming stuff to work on it. I was hoping to be able to clear the root mailbox as well. Is there an easy way to do that?

cat /dev/null > /var/mail/root

would do the trick ;-)  (#include disclaimer.h)

More useful might be:

cp /var/mail/me /var/mail/me.bak
mv /var/mail/root /var/mail/me
(download root mail via POP or whatever)
mv /var/mail/me.bak /var/mail/me

YMMV, of course.

Kevin Kinsey

--
Scenary is here, wish you were beautiful.