Mike Hunter wrote:
Hey everybody,

I'm having a frustrating X problem.  I installed X via portupgrade and
hacked /etc/ttys to enable xdm.  I can log in successfully both as root
and as a non-priv user, but either way I get to a screen that says:

Session Menu

Load Session # Delete Session # Break Lock # Default/Fail Safe # Cancel

But if I disable xdm and simply use startx, it launches X and my window
manager fine.  I tried deleting my .xinitrc but that didn't help.

I have a feeling some X component isn't in place.  I tried compiling gdm
as a replacement but that didn't help (same symptoms).  I was able to run
gdmsetup (or was it gdmconfig?) by logging into gdm in fail-safe mode, and
I could change some of the GDM settings, but I didn't see anything that I
could twist to fix the problem.

FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE May 12
xorg-6.9.0

For xdm:
copy your .xinitrc to .xsession and see if that helps.

gdm:
is a bit more complicated.

--
Regards,