On 6/7/06, Richard Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

I'm having trouble loading kernel modules. Put simply "make
installkernel" seems install native kernel modules into /boot/kernel/,
but kldload seems to want to load them from /boot/modules.

3rd party kernel modules go in /boot/modules and /boot/kernel is for
FreeBSD only.

Obviously I can load modules by hand and/or copy the modules into
/boot/modules, but surely there's a better way - either by modifying the
installkernel behaviour or kldload.

Yes, this drives me nuts too. For example the kqemu port gets
installed in /boot/kernel and highpoint's manuals tell you to install
drivers there too. The problem is that if you rebuild your kernel or
do a buildworld et. al. it will wipeout  everything in /boot/kernel...
This is why we have /boot/modules, everything in here will survive a
kernel rebuild, buildworld, etc...

From the loader man page (FreeBSD 6.1):
"module_path
Sets the list of directories which will be searched for modules named
in a load command or implicitly required by a dependency. The default
value for this variable is ``/boot/kernel;/boot/modules''."

From the hier man page (FreeBSD 6.1):
 "  /boot/     programs and configuration files used during operating system
               bootstrap

               defaults/  default bootstrapping configuration files; see
                          loader.conf(5)
               kernel/    pure kernel executable (the operating system loaded
                          into memory at boot time).
               modules/   third-party loadable kernel modules; see kldstat(8)"

--
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/