Ahh. I think I goofed slightly. I think your application has to be the parent of the running process to get at that property. See:

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=366888&seqNum=10

James Riendeau
MMI Computer Support Technician
1300 University Ave
Rm. 436, Dept. of MedMicro
Madison, WI  53706

Phone: (608) 262-3351
After-hours Phone: (608) 260-2696
Fax: (608) 262-8418
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Jun 7, 2006, at 10:24 AM, Tofik Suleymanov wrote:

James Riendeau wrote:
How are you defining "assuming right privileges"?
assuming uid 0

The only way you're going to be able to read another processes address space is in the kernel.Even a process running as root is not able to read another process's data.
how does gdb then reads for example different variables of running program ?
One of the principle responsibilities of the OS is to manage the private memory space of each process, and I emphasize private. The last thing you would want on a secure system is the ability of other processes to read or write to another process's address space.Even a parent process should not be able to read a child's address space, as the fork logically duplicates their address space and they go their separate ways. An attempt to read another processes address space should trap to the kernel and the kernel should kill the process immediately. There is one exception to this: you can setup a pipe or memory share between two processes, however, both processes have to agree to share some memory or connect via a pipe. I'm not going to give you a howto via email as the subject usually fills a solid chapter in most OS books.
Thank you for brief and altogether extensive explanation of the case.The thing i wanted to do is to read let's say portions of memory where .bss and .data block of a running program reside.

is that possible ?

Sincerely,
Tofik Suleymanov