On Sun, 11 Jun 2006, fbsd wrote:

Using such an list of ip address from a major rbl is flawed at the
core of the idea.
Over 85% of those 3 million ip address are spoofed in the first
place.
Most are what would be called false positives.

Reread the info at the source cbl.abuseat.org it says the data is
not intended to be used the way you are trying to use it.

All it says is: "We're getting a lot of reports of spurious blocking caused by sites using the CBL to block authenticated access to smarthosts / outgoing mail servers. THE CBL is only designed to be used on INCOMING mail, i.e. on the hosts that your MX records point to."

Which I take to mean, yeah, if you're using it on sendmail, you allow SMTP AUTH to override blacklists (this is the case by default.)

Whereas my intention would be to use it to block ports such as 80 and 22. Every system I've found trying to brute-force SSH on my box has already been in this database, and by using mod_access_rbl for apache I was able to catch and block a dozen or so attempts to post spammish content to guestbooks and the like (but I'd like to do this without the overhead of apache DNS lookups).

Thanks for your input, though.

-Dan

You really need to rethink what you are doing.